Updated: 19th May 2014
Our privacy commitment
What is personal information?
- Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual.
The type of personal information we may collect includes:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Credit/debit card information for donations
- Communication preferences
- Online activity
How do we collect your personal information?
- We will only collect personal information if it is necessary for one or more of its functions or activities.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of:
- The identity of the organisation and how to contact HFA.
- The purposes for which the information is collected.
- The fact that you can gain access to the information.
- In most cases, information will be collected from you directly. This may be in person, on the telephone or online. However some information is collected automatically (such as online activity by visitors to our website).
- You can choose how much information you would like to provide, however HFA may not be able to fulfill a request if information is not provided.
- We will ensure that if you wish to remain anonymous or use a pseudonym, the request will be complied with as far as it is practical and legal to do so.
- Sensitive information about an individual will not generally be collected unless required by law or is necessary to prevent an imminent or serious threat.
How do we use your information?
- We will only use your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was given.
Primary purposes include:
- To send newsletters or advertisement material
- To receive and/or communicate about donations
- If the information is not sensitive information, we may use mailing lists to invite individuals to functions.
- Private information will only be disclosed if we believe it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life or safety, or if we suspect unlawful activity, or it is required by law. We will not disclose any personal information to overseas recipients.
Where your personal information is stored:
- Personal information is kept secure in our support database.
- Your financial information is securely stored and access to this information is restricted to authorised staff only.
- We will take reasonable steps to ensure personal information that we hold will be protected from misuse and loss from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- Physical copies of your information are kept securely and de-identified or destroyed if no longer needed.
What if you would like to access your personal information or make corrections?
- You may ask us to update, correct or delete personal information we hold about you at anytime. If you would like to do so you can contact us using the details below.
- We will provide you with access to your own private information if so requested, unless conditions apply as outlined in the APPs (part 5).
- When we are notified of changes to personal information, these changes will be made as soon as possible so that information held is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
Making a query or a complaint:
For any questions, concerns or complaints regarding the collection, use, disclosure or storage of your personal information, we can be contacted by:
Phone +61 (3) 9739 0612 (Ext. 254)
Mail Hope From Above, c/o ACMA, PO Box 223, Coldstream VIC 3770, Australia.